Problem and mission
The rural areas of the Mukono district suffer from high HIV prevalence, extreme poverty and social problems such as child abuse. 13% of all children die before the age of 5, and the ten most common causes of death are easily avoided diseases. Tens of thousands of children are orphaned by HIV, and cannot be caressed by family because they lack the financial means. Most farmers are barely self-sustaining and cannot afford to sell anything on the local market, mostly because of low crop and soil quality.
Our vision is to have healthy, peaceful, productive and prosperous generations. There is much need for a comprehensive strategy to first address major sensitive issues such as poverty, human rights, gender and other factors that render different groups to more vulnerable, especially in the developing world.
Our mission is to reach out to civil society by promoting health, education, peace, shelter, entrepreneurship and building the technical skills of poor people to improve the quality of their lives and that of future generations as well as reducing their vulnerability to the epidemic.
Pat the Child organization targets all categories of people regardless of variations in race, colour, gender, religion, nationality, tribe and political affiliations. However, our emphasis has been currently targeting children, adolescents, youth, women, disabled and those mostly at risk groups.
- Promote access to all levels of education, immunization, health and sanitation.
- Support for training schemes for unemployed women, offer vocational training to address adolescents and vulnerable children and providing services for low income earners.
- To speak out on key issues as child labour and the impact of conflict on children.
- To emphasize the children's participation in environmental projects, HIV/Aids prevention and integrating disabled children into the main stream education.
- Conduct child/ adolescent/ parent workshops on family communication
- Organize programs for street and working children, disability support including community based health care and rehabilitation integrated education and to counter bullying.
- Undertake emergency drug distribution.
- Organize toy making workshops for children.
- Initiate promoting children and young people in decision making
- Support to participatory approaches for community projects i.e. construction of schools, health centers, and providing safe drinking water.
- To reduce formation of new HIV/Aids infections especially among young people through education, community sensitization and information dissemination through our drama group.